What documents are required to be submitted along with application for marriage registration under Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 ?
Documentation required to be submitted depends on an individual case by case basis, but the following is a broad guide of documents generally required for marriage registration in Delhi:

1. Documentary evidence of date of birth of both the parties: Matriculation Certificate / Birth Certificate / Passport (depending on your jurisdiction). *Note: The husband should have completed 21 Years of age and the wife 18 years of age at the time of marriage.

2. Residential proof of husband and wife: Ration card / Election ID card / Passport (depending on your jurisdiction)*Note: At least one party should have proof of residence in Delhi to get marriage registered in Delhi

3. Photographs:
? Passport size photographs of both parties (3 copies each) ? One marriage photograph of parties.

4. Marriage Invitation Card: Physical marriage invitation invite in original.

5. A certificate to the effect that a marriage as per Hindu rites has been solemnized given by a person who can either be a gazetted officer or a PAN Card holder issued by Income Tax Department. *Note: The person issuing the certificate should be present at the time of registration of marriage as a witness.

6. Certificate from priest (if available): Required in cases where marriage has been solemnized at a religious place.*Note: The certificate must be from the same priest who solemnized the marriage.

7. A conversion certificate from the priest who solemnized the marriage (optional): In case one of the parties belonged to other than Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Sikh religions, and converted to any of these religions before marriage.

8. Certified copy of divorce/decree/order: Applicable in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/ widower.

9. In case wife wants to add husband’s surname/ change her surname: A joint affidavit sworn by both husband and wife regarding change of name duly attested by notary public.*Note: This may not be applicable in all districts; a gazette notification, if asked for, can be additionally provided by us as a separate package

10. In case one of the partners is a foreign national:
? A certificate from the Embassy concerned regarding his/her present marital status.
? Valid Visa documents should also be submitted.

Important Notes:1. All the photocopies of documents and photographs should be attested by a Gazetted Officer. 2. Presence of both the parties is required on the day of appearance along with the original documents and a witness (having valid PAN Card).
3. In some areas of Delhi, presence of one or both parties is also required on date of submission.

Share Button


  1. archana

    I don’t have any address proofs like voter’s ID, passport etc. All that i have is pancard and birth certificate and marks cards. So please suggest me what to do. But the guy has all reqiured documents.

Leave a Reply